Saliem Talash: Customer service scripts for a small business: what to say when something goes wrong

Every small business eventually has the bad day: the order that did not arrive, the wrong colour, the booking you forgot, the customer who writes in capitals. What you say in the first reply decides whether you keep that customer, and often whether they tell anyone else about it.

Scripts help because a bad day is exactly when it is hardest to find good words. Written in advance, calmly, they let you reply quickly without sounding defensive or robotic. Edit them into your own voice, save them where you can paste them, and they will carry you through most of what goes wrong.

I'm Saliem Talash. I live in Toronto and build practical tools for small businesses. The names in the scripts are placeholders.

Know what the customer has been told to expect

The Government of Canada's Office of Consumer Affairs publishes a "Complaint Roadmap" that coaches consumers on how to complain. It tells them to stay calm and be clear, to write down who they spoke to and when, to ask for a reference number, to put an unresolved complaint in writing to the owner or manager, and that many companies respond to complaints on social media.

Read it once. It is a good description of what a reasonable customer will do, which means it is also a good description of what your process should handle: a named person, a reference, a written record and a way to reach the owner.

The four parts of every good reply

Almost every script below follows the same shape:

  1. Acknowledge the specific problem. Name it. "Your order hasn't arrived" beats "We're sorry for any inconvenience."
  2. Take responsibility for your part. No excuses in the first reply, even true ones.
  3. Say what happens next, with a time. "By 3 p.m. today" beats "as soon as possible."
  4. Close with a person. Your name, and how to reach you directly.

Script 1: the late order or delivery

Hi [Name], you're right: your order hasn't arrived, and it should have been with you by now. I'm sorry. I've checked, and [what you found, e.g. it's still with the courier / it didn't ship on time from our end]. Here's what I'm doing: [action, e.g. sending a replacement by express today at no charge]. You'll have a tracking number from me by [time]. If it's easier to talk, call me at [number]. — [Your name]

Why it works: it confirms the customer is right before anything else, and it gives a time, which is what anxious customers most want.

Script 2: you made a mistake

Hi [Name], thank you for telling me. That's our mistake: you ordered [X] and we sent [Y]. I'm sorry for the hassle. I'll [send the right item today / fix it on (day)], and you don't need to send the wrong one back [or: here's a prepaid label for it]. Your reference is [#1234] if you need to follow up. — [Your name]

Why it works: "That's our mistake" is short, clear and disarming. Adding a reference number means the customer never has to explain it twice.

Script 3: the refund request

If you can refund:

Hi [Name], of course. I've issued a refund of [$amount] to your [card / original payment method] today. Depending on your bank, it usually shows within [X] business days. I'm sorry it didn't work out, and thank you for giving us a try. — [Your name]

If your policy does not allow it, say so without hiding behind it, and offer what you can:

Hi [Name], thanks for letting me know. Because [item] was [custom-made / used / past our 30-day window], I can't offer a full refund, and I'm sorry that's not the answer you hoped for. What I can do is [store credit / an exchange / a repair / a partial refund of $X]. Would one of those work for you? — [Your name]

Why it works: it states the reason once, then moves straight to what is possible. Customers accept a "no" much better when it arrives with an alternative.

Script 4: the angry message

When a message is hostile, the goal of the first reply is only to lower the temperature. Do not argue about any detail yet.

Hi [Name], I can see this has been really frustrating, and I want to sort it out. So I get it right: [restate the problem in one sentence]. Is that correct? I'll come back to you by [time] today with what I can do. — [Your name]

Why it works: restating the problem shows you read the message, and asking "is that correct?" invites a calmer second message. Wait at least ten minutes before you send any reply to an angry message, and never reply to tone with tone.

Script 5: the public complaint

A complaint on a review site or social media is read by far more people than the customer who wrote it. Reply publicly once, briefly, then move the details somewhere private.

Hi [Name], I'm sorry about [the specific problem], and thank you for raising it. That's not the experience we want anyone to have. I'd like to put it right: could you email me at [address] or call [number] and ask for [Your name]? — [Your name], owner

Why it works: future customers see an owner who responds, apologises and acts. Never share order details, personal information or a counter-argument in public.

Script 6: when the customer is wrong

Sometimes the customer has misread a policy or remembered something incorrectly. You can still be kind.

Hi [Name], thanks for checking with me. I've looked back at your order, and [the item was listed as X / the booking was for Tuesday]. I can see how it could be confusing, and I've [updated the wording on our site / added a reminder to confirmations] so it's clearer. For your order, what I can do is [option]. — [Your name]

Why it works: it corrects the record without saying "you're wrong", and it turns the confusion into an improvement.

The habit that makes every script work: write it down

After any complaint, spend two minutes on a simple log: date, customer, what went wrong, what you did, and what you will change. After a few months, patterns appear. The same courier. The same unclear line on your website. The same product that breaks. Fixing the pattern is worth more than any script, because the best complaint is the one that never has to be written.

Where to keep your scripts

  • As text snippets or templates in your email tool, so each is two clicks away.
  • As saved replies in any messaging app you use for customers.
  • Printed next to the phone, for the calls.

Review them twice a year. Your policies change, your voice settles, and the scripts should keep up.

Sources

  • Office of Consumer Affairs (Innovation, Science and Economic Development Canada): The Complaint Roadmap
  • Canadian Consumer Handbook: complaints

Drafted with AI assistance.

More from Saliem Talash: saliemtalash.vercel.app · ZELR · YouTube

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Saliem Talash: A worked website handoff for a fictional flower shop

Saliem Talash: Why I made a website project workbook that works offline

Saliem Talash: How to use Toronto 311 and actually get the pothole fixed